|Spawns in||Flooded vault|
|Walk speed||2 tiles per turn|
|Immune to|| Burning|
|On damage||Nothing special|
|Attack delay||1 turn per attack|
|On hit||Nothing special|
| Max level|
| 30 for XP|
32 for drop
|Drops|| Mystery meat (always)
|These carnivorous fish are not natural inhabitants of underground pools. They were bred specifically to protect flooded treasure vaults.|
Giant piranhas will attack on sight. They move 2 times faster than the Hero/ine. They cannot leave their flooded vault on their own, so you can’t slay them one by one, by going into a corridor, or behind a door, unless you burn the door or throw an item into the door to open it and attack them from a distance.
- Fight giant piranhas ONLY if you have good equipment & are confident, as they are very strong.
- Beware of smaller flooded vaults, as the fish may move after you have walked passed, blocking your retreat until your Potion of Invisibility runs out.
- For every flooded vault room, there will always be a Potion of Invisibility at the same depth.
- Drink your Potion of Invisibility before opening the door, or the piranha will rush over & block your path.
- While invisible, move one step at a time. If you move several steps automatically, a piranha may move in front of you, making you bump into it & ending your invisibility.
- If the effect of the Potion of Invisibility runs out whilst getting the item at the end of the room, use a Scroll of Teleportation, or Wand of Teleportation (if against a wall), to get out.
- If they are teleported with a Wand of Teleportation or Seed of Fadeleaf and they land on a non-water tile, they’ll immediately die.
This will result in the message "You hear something died in the distance."
If you do not get this message, the piranha probably landed in water & is still alive (so be cautious when approaching water elsewhere at this depth). Consequently, this is not a recommended approach at Flooded depths.
- They don't position themselves beneath Mystery Meat (& items in general? - Can be used to cordon them off, or place a buffer between you & the piranha, to safely range-attack them)
- If you don't have an Invisibility potion, carefully placed sheep via Wand of Flock can cordon them off, allowing you safe passage to the guarded item. (Better, if used with Ring of Haste)
- Avoid trying to fight Giant Piranhas through melee, as they are very strong.
It is much better to use the Potion of Invisibility that spawns at the same depth as them.
If you insist on slaying them, open the door by throwing something unbreakable into it, and then use ranged attacks.
REMEMBER, you will not get any EXP. from them.
- In order to slay them one by one, open the door of the flooded vault by throwing an item at it (preferably something you can spare, in case you don't manage to finish them off before starving) & attack them from a distance (ranged weapons (Boomerang is best), wands).
- Using a Scroll of Lullaby can buy an extra turn to escape.
- A Seed of Earthroot is beneficial for fighting the piranhas.
- If you are playing the Freerunner sub-class, depending on the size of the room & the initial placement of the fish, it is sometimes possible to just outrun the piranha with minimal damage.
It is a risky strategy though.