Hunger is a debuff with three states: Satiated, Hungry and Starving.
The hunger counter Edit
T=12if the Hero is a Rogue,
T=10if the Hero/ine is another class,
1.5while the Hero/ine is under the Shadowmelded buff.
At each update (every
T turns) the counter is increased by
10-satiety points (
satiety being the cumulative level of equipped Rings of Satiety).
satiety=10, the Hero/ine will never ever be Hungry or Starving by just walking again (while ring(s) equipped), increasing
satiety above 10 is useless.
- When the counter reaches 260 points, the Hero/ine enters the Hungry state.
- When the counter reaches 360 points, the Hero/ine enters the Starving state.
Once the Hero/ine is in starving state, the hunger counter is not increased anymore, so the Ring of Satiety is not useful for slowing the rate of hunger down in this state.
T turns (same
T value as above), the Hero/ine has a 30 % probability of losing 1 HP, except if s/he is paralyzed with only 1 HP remaining (so the Hero/ine cannot die of starvation while being paralyzed).
So, on average and without Shadowmelded buff:
- a Rogue will lose 1 HP every 40 turns,
- any other class will lose 1 HP every 33.33… turns.
Satisfying hunger Edit
There are many ways to satisfy hunger, i.e. to decrease the hunger counter by a certain number of points:
|Satisfaction way||Counter decrease|
|Well of Health||360|
|Ration of food||260|
|Overpriced food ration||100|
|Slaying an enemy as a Warlock||10|
The counter cannot go under 0, so decreasing it by more points than its current value is a partial waste.
Worsening hunger Edit
Conversely, some events can worsen hunger, i.e. increase the hunger counter by a certain number of points:
|Worsening event||Counter increase|
|Metabolism glyph procs||10|
|Mining dark gold ore with pickaxe||10|
|Descending/Ascending depths with stairs||10|
Once the Hero/ine is in Starving state, the Hunger counter is not increased anymore, even by those events.
- You will be hungry/starving for most of the game. Don't worry about it too much.
- Starving takes a while to damage you. Wait until your health is near half before eating a piece of food, or wait until your health is low and drink a Potion of Healing (but be cautious, generally at a health of about 5-10 %, more if there are enemies nearby, is a good time to drink it).
- The only time it's relatively 'safe' to be Paralyzed is when the Hero/ine is already Starving. (The debuff 'ends sooner' when starving, and 'lasts longer' when satiated.)
- Take advantage of your Starving state by triggering any Paralytic Gas trap (especially in Room of Traps), whenever you don't have a Levitation potion, a Reach wand, Missile Weapons, or other items to disarm the trap(s) from a safe distance.
|1.6.3||Changed: Hungry/Starving triggers (and related values) are greater.|
|1.7.0||Changed: Ascending/Descending Depths hastens Hunger|