FANDOM


  • I got my rogue at level 11 with Tome of Mastery and thinking about what specialization to choose.

    And I tend to Assassin because I have much stuff in inventory (unrecognized potions and some stuff), so I must have exactly such 'encumbered' rogue for Free Runner, as it states:

    "The Freerunner  can move almost twice faster than most of the monsters. For that he must be UNENCUMBERED and not starving."

      Loading editor
    • I'm not quite sure if Free Runner does much in the game. I just tried it out on the first level and while enemies were around I would move at my regular pace. I decided to drop every item I had including equipped items but I still moved one square for every square the enemy moved. My hunger was completely full as well.

      Does it just mean I move twice as fast when I am not spotted by enemies? If so, it seems to be a rather useless subclass.

        Loading editor
    • My freerunner runs faster than all of the monsters so i can go ahead of them and the throw shurikens or darts or even potions. I can also flee if needed without problem.

      Both assasin and freerunner are good but while the freerunner doesn't need anything to do his specialty the assasin needs an upgraded ring of shadows because if enemies spot and wake up his ability is useless.

        Loading editor
    • we should do this with mage and warrior specializations and discuss which is the better option. 

        Loading editor
    • Well for the warrior i would personaly choose gladiator because you could do a lot of damage from the combos (5-6 combos). I don't like tha berserker because he'll only do more damage when he's on low health and I don't feel comfortable on low health.

      For the mage the both specializations are good but the situation is similar to the rogue. If you want to be a battlemage you have to have a good upgraded wand. Maybe something like +6 in my opinion so it makes a lot of damage and you can safely equip it as a weapon (because this is the only way it will recharge when successful hit and thats the point of the battlemage).

      If you want to be a warlock you don't need anything and his ability to steel HP is pretty good. I'd say he's easier to play with.

      Btw something that bugs me. I think that the battlemage should be called wizard because a battlemage is someone who is pretty good with elemental magic but is also a master of the blade. In pixel dungeon however this so called battle mage has the ability to use wands more efficiently wich is something more suited for a wizard. So tell me what you think about that.

        Loading editor
    • [Thread Necro'd  XD]

      I'd go with Assassin.

      Playing Freerunner right now, and (as I've stated here ) he's a lot tougher to play, since he doesn't deal nearly as much damage as the Assassin (& he needs serious armor).  Not to mention, you basically lose the only differentiating perk you have whenever you're Starving (& I starve a lot, since I like pressing that Search button, rather than stepping on traps ;b ) - it's like you're an unspecialized Rogue (except you seem weaker, somehow).

      Trying to decide which glyph I want inscribed on my armor, though - Bounce or Stench?  Leaning towards Bounce, but I'd like more input/intel (on Stench) before I finalize my decision.

      What do you guys think of either glyph on the Freerunner??

        Loading editor
    • Bouce yes, don't like the stench glyph, makes it too hard to deal with long ranged attackers (I'm looking at you evil eyes!! -_-)

      But yes, Assassin is much easier to play, the damage potential is much greater, however I had a free runner I just beat the game with who had 2 rings of haste (+7 in all) which is stupidly fun!!!  "O no I am in a spot of bother, here let me run up 3 levels before they can all move!"

        Loading editor
    • CJTC wrote:
      Bounce yes, don't like the stench glyph, makes it too hard to deal with long ranged attackers (I'm looking at you evil eyes!! -_-)

      I had a free runner I just beat the game with who had 2 rings of haste (+7 in all) which is stupidly fun!!!  "O no I am in a spot of bother, here let me run up 3 levels before they can all move!"

      LoL!  Thanks for your input! =D I'm actually right on the Depth 24 exit, about to fight Yog-Dzewa, & I decided to wait for feedback from people, before I inscribe my armor & fight Yog-Dzewa.  So, would you say that Bounce would be good against the larvae while fighting Yog-Dzewa?

      LoL!  Lucky!  I have a +2 Ring of Accuracy, a +2 Ring of Shadows, a +1 Ring of Haggler, & 0 Ring of Evasion.  (-_-)  I wish the +2 on Shadows & +1 on Haggler was on my Evasion ring.  =/

        Loading editor
    • I'd say so, but how exactly are you choosing what you inscribe O.o  is there a new game mechanic I don't know about???

      Bounce would be better, stench will probs kill you haha. Idk

        Loading editor
    • CJTC wrote:
      I'd say so, but how exactly are you choosing what you inscribe O.o  is there a new game mechanic I don't know about???

      Bounce would be better, stench will probs kill you haha. Idk

      LOL  I got lucky with the dungeon generating 7 Arcane Styluses for me.  (Wanted to save up 'til my Plate Armor was +6 & I had at least 6 Arcane Styluses)  I just haven't inscribed my armor yet, since I'm inexperienced with the Freerunner sub-class & this is the first time I'm getting to Yog-Dzewa with the Freerunner (1 out of 6-7 runs) - wanted to be absolutely careful, so I could see what works (without risking death).

      (I take it you didn't know you could inscribe over an armor that already has a Glyph?  If the stylus I use doesn't give me the glyph I want, I just use another 'til it does; which is why I waited & saved up my Arcane Styluses. =D )

        Loading editor
    • A ok, no I knew you could do that, just didn't expect you to have saved them all haha.

      Go metabolism... Metabollism everytime, with those larva always hitting you you should only need a couple of hp pots to finish off the yog man :P

        Loading editor
    • CJTC wrote:
      A ok, no I knew you could do that, just didn't expect you to have saved them all haha.

      Go metabolism... Metabollism everytime, with those larva always hitting you you should only need a couple of hp pots to finish off the yog man :P

      Ohh yeahh; I'm not gonna risk losing a good run by subjecting it to the randomness/RNG of glyph inscription.  I want that Win, sir.  LoL

      Wait, first you tell me to go with Bounce, then now you tell me to go with Metabolism?  (0_o)?  LoL  I already stated why Metabolism is specifically bad for the Freerunner sub-class.  And besides, I already chose Bounce & won anyway; I beat Yog-Dzewa.

      What I initially suspected was correct:  the Bounce glyph gave me a thick(er than usual) larvae barrier from the 2 fists, that they didn't even bother coming near to attack me, even when I made a mistake by thinking I could toss a P-Gas potion over the larvae to the fists, to keep them paralyzed.  They were just like, "Meh, we'll let the larvae deal with him." and just 'watched' me. (The Burning Fist actually went away & hid after I paralyzed myself; only the Rotting Fist stayed to 'watch' me fight.) LoL

        Loading editor
    • I always choose assassin, because the critical hit applies to the surprise attack with doors. You can literally just chase an enemy around the map using the doors to get the crits, or just use it in sticky situations. Freerunner seems absolutely pointless.

        Loading editor
    • 70.123.105.115 wrote:
      I always choose assassin, because the critical hit applies to the surprise attack with doors. You can literally just chase an enemy around the map using the doors to get the crits, or just use it in sticky situations. Freerunner seems absolutely pointless.

      Correct..  However beating the game with the freerunner is harder. So the challenge is a little appealing ;)

        Loading editor
    • Wait, first you tell me to go with Bounce, then now you tell me to go with Metabolism?  (0_o)?  LoL  I already stated why Metabolism is specifically bad for the Freerunner sub-class.  And besides, I already chose Bounce & won anyway; I beat Yog-Dzewa.

      Sorry, you gave me two options and I chose the best haha.

      But yeah metabolism is the way to go. The problem with something like bounce is that every now and then it will hit a larva away and let a fist in.. And no one likes that!

        Loading editor
    • CJTC wrote:

      The problem with something like bounce is that every now and then it will hit a larva away and let a fist in.. And no one likes that!

      There's a solution to that. =)  It's all about your Attack Sequence.  If you managed to lure the fists away first, then made your way to the eyeball, you'd have enough time to build that Larvae Barrier.

      What happened with my run was, I'd hit the eyeball & a larva would spawn, then the spawned larva would attack me & get bounced.  In that moment, I'd hit the eyeball again & another larva would spawn in the cell that the other larva got bounced from.  So now, I've got a Larvae Barrier that's 2 larvae/2 cells thick.  =D  The rest of the fight is Cake (if you have enough Healing potions, that is).

        Loading editor
    • Yeah fair call, also if you're game and aren't planning on using invis potions try luring the fists away, invis close to the eye, find the best choke point (usually a corner) and use a scroll of challenge. Yogi will actually move towards you and you now have a maximum of only 2 larvae attacking you at a time..  Good fun if you're a bit desperate ;).  HOwever if you then use an invis potion yogi will actually start wondering around so.. that creates problems!

        Loading editor
    • I find the Freerunner immensely better. You stack up on food easily, since you move twice as fast through the dungeon, and you can kite every single enemy and boss.

      The food boon is pretty good, since rogues can't handle piranhas for the extra meat like the mage or the huntress can. Besides, you can run away from most enemies if things get grim and keep up the pace with thieves. And the extra speed is TOO useful in bosses.

        Loading editor
    • 156.35.221.243 wrote:
      I find the Freerunner immensely better. You stack up on food easily, since you move twice as fast through the dungeon, and you can kite every single enemy and boss.

      The food boon is pretty good, since rogues can't handle piranhas for the extra meat like the mage or the huntress can. Besides, you can run away from most enemies if things get grim and keep up the pace with thieves. And the extra speed is TOO useful in bosses.

      Free runner is defs fun.. But I have to dissagree. Getting those massive crits at every doorway is muuuuch better than being able to run fast ;)

        Loading editor
    • I would choose assassin, all you need a strong weapon and a bunch of potions of invisibilty to defeat Yog. They can save you lots of time just by using the critical bonus and save you the use of healing potions. I always use the door surprise attack anyways so that's just a major benefit.

        Loading editor
    • free runner is alot faster then assain and just needs a mace to win vary fast with rings of haste and accuracy

        Loading editor
    • CJTC wrote:
      Freerunner is defs fun.. But I have to disagree.  Getting those massive crits at every doorway is muuuuch better than being able to run fast.  ;)

      U people really hate being fast, don't ya?  The reason I find Freerunner easy to use is cause it IS FASTER THAN SEweR CRABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is the cause of about 64.2% of all deaths in the sewers.

        Loading editor
    • 76.124.157.49 wrote:
      U people really hate being fast, don't ya?  The reason I find Freerunner easy to use is cause it IS FASTER THEN SEweR CRABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is the cause of about 64.2% of all deaths in the sewers.

      I'm at lvl 24 and I don't need to worry about crabs - they are mere SEAFOOD!  Muahaha!

        Loading editor
    • The thing I really like about freerunners, is that they can create distance and then use a ranged weapon/seed/potion.  Extremely useful for tough spots. Though I do like assassin, especially when I find a glaive in the sewers.  I just lead the enemies to doors and BOOM they're dead.

        Loading editor
    • While I prefer the assassin, I just ran through the game with the Freerunner; quite literally in the case of the Demon Halls.  It actually made the overpriced food worthwhile, but even that could take the edge off starvation, letting me sprint through all three levels; didn't even swing my axe once.  Of course, the +9 Ring of Evasion certainly helped, but it was kind of fun imagining this lunatic running full out through hell.

        Loading editor
    • I've got just a question : when do you choose your subclass? Right at the beginnig of the game? or maybe a little bit later? 

      I played on a new phone some times ago, and I think that it's sometimes better to wait before choosing because you can base your choice and the stuff you already have. 

      But maybe it's easier to make it throughout the sewers when you are specialized from the beginning! What do you think?

      For Rogue actually, it may be better to wait and see the weapon you get in the sewers (good weapon for the Assassin, and Knuckleduster for the Freerunner sounds very good!).

        Loading editor
    • I personally always choose my subclass at the beginning. I have my favorites, so I generally always go with a certain subclass unless I'm running a particular challenge. I find the benefits of the subclasses are best utilized early to get through the dreaded sewers, than to save later for a possible, though unlikely, item drop that favors one class over the other. Even when you do get the ideal weapon/staff/armor for a subclass, it's rarely so gamebreaking that it was worth the deaths that would have been incurred for going base class.

        Loading editor
    • I always choose my class once I open my inventory (generally in the beginning once I spawn but sometimes I forget). I have less deaths when I'm specialized in the Sewers stage.

        Loading editor
    • VTG

      I love the assassin sub class, but i think its easier and more fun to play with the freerunner..

      I have recently gone through a couple of runs with the freerunner and i have discovered this tactic..

      Start a game with the huntress, equip boomerang, die, then hope that your freerunner gets the boomerang through the heros remains..then you can pretty much kill every mob you see( those sewer crabs are a problem though!!)

      i just won a game with the freerunner..

      Level-25

      Stunning quarterstaff+1

      Scale armor+4

      Boomerang+7

      Ring of shadows+1    Ring of satiety+2

      Wand of slowness+1 (really useful against enemies faster than you)

        Loading editor
    • Interesting!

      The Freerunner sounds really good... until you get to the part about "only when not starving". Since you're starving almost all the time, are you getting much benefit from this specialization?

      Also, I seem to remember noticing that the Assassin's surprise bonus affected missile damage too, so he could probably make good use of that boomerang as well.

        Loading editor
    • Xarxd wrote:

      The Freerunner sounds really good... until you get to the part about "only when not starving". Since you're starving almost all the time, are you getting much benefit from this specialization?

      Yes you are because you'll become hungry/starving much later because of the speed bonus.

        Loading editor
    • VTG

      With the freerunner you hardly require to eat 1 food every 2 depths, hunger has never really been a problem for me with the freerunner, but you have to eat something as soon as you get starving otherwise your strategy wont work..mystery meat cooking works really well(with the boomerang, you have three additional mystery meats for every piranha room)

        Loading editor
    • Cool, I'll try this next. Thanks!

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.